A man armed with an ax fought with Pierce County deputies Monday morning and stole a patrol car for a brief time.
Deputies chased him for about two miles before he crashed near Puyallup on Canyon Road. They subdued him with a Taser.
Sgt. Ed Troyer told KOMO News the man appeared to be on drugs.
Deputies had responded to a report of a disturbance when they got into a fight with the man. He used the ax to break a window on the patrol car and drive off.
Most Read Local Stories
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- 2 killed in crash on I-90 after car hydroplaned, officials say
- One killed in North Seattle shooting
- For older adults, isolation can lead to overwhelming loneliness
Troyer says a few cars were sideswiped in the chase but no one was seriously hurt.