One suspect was killed and two were arrested after the officers were shot and wounded in downtown Seattle. One officer is hospitalized in satisfactory condition, while the other is in serious condition, officials said.

Share story

Here’s what happened:

  • Two Seattle police officers, a male and a female, were shot and wounded in downtown Seattle around 1:25 p.m. Thursday while responding to a robbery at at a downtown 7-Eleven store.
  • Medics took them to Harborview Medical Center. The female officer, age 42, is in satisfactory condition, according to the hospital. The male officer, 30, has been upgraded from critical to serious condition.
  • A female robbery suspect was arrested around 2:10 p.m. A second suspect, a male, was later found dead after he barricaded himself in a federal building.
  • About four hours later, police arrested a third person who they believe was involved in the robbery.

[This post is no longer being updated. For a full recap of the shooting, look here.]

Update, 6:40 p.m.:

Police have arrested a third person who they believe was involved in the robbery.

No further details, such as the person’s age or gender, were immediately known.

Update, 4:48 p.m.:

Police reported that a third person may have been involved in the robbery.

“Case is rapidly developing and detectives are reviewing new evidence as it’s coming in,” police said in a tweet.

Update, 4:19 p.m.:

Investigators have released new details on what happened after the shooting:

The suspect who opened fire barricaded himself in a nearby building, Deputy Police Chief Carmen Best said. That suspect, a male, was later found dead, she said.

“In an abundance of caution, when we entered the building, we decided to clear it and render it safe,” Best said, explaining why it took so long for police to declare the man dead.

No further details on the man or how he died were immediately known.

The King County Medical Examiner will formally identify him and determine his manner of death.

Update, 3:59 p.m.:

Mayor Ed Murray said he spoke with the wounded officers at Harborview Medical Center.

“They’re obviously in pain, they’re in discomfort,” he told reporters. “But their attitude is great. One of them was smiling.”

The officers’ names have not been released. Both have been with the Seattle Police Department for about three years, Best said.

Update, 3:51 p.m.:

Officials say the conditions of the wounded officers are now the following:

The female officer is in satisfactory condition, while the male officer has been upgraded from critical to serious condition.

A third officer suffered a minor injury to the finger but it was unclear how it was sustained, police said.

Update, 3:46 p.m.:

Officials are hosting a news conference at Harborview Medical Center, where the two officers are being treated.

Mayor Ed Murray called the incident a huge tragedy and thanked law-enforcement officers and medics for their swift response.

“We’re very grateful that our officers are in as good as condition as they are,” Deputy Police Chief Carmen Best said. “Patience is important right now. Traffic will be impacted — know that we’re working very diligently to clear the scene.”

Police initially said there was a third suspect at large, but have since said only two suspects were involved.

Update, 3:27 p.m.:

Police and government agencies across the state are expressing condolences for the wounded officers via social media.

Update, 3:18 p.m.:

Mayor Ed Murray and police just arrived to Harborview Medical Center for a news conference.

Update, 3:04 p.m.:

A Seattle Times reporter spoke with a witness, Amanda Clark, who said she saw the suspects in front of the convenience store, a 7-Eleven at First Avenue and Cherry Street.

Clark said she was walking to store with her girlfriend when two suspects, a male and female, ran out of the store past her. Then, a clerk chased them out and police apparently arrived a short time later.

Update, 2:52 p.m.:

Here’s how officials described what led up to the shooting:

The officers confronted the suspects about a block away from the convenience store and a fight ensued, Best said. While one officer fought with a male suspect on the ground, a female suspect struck the officer over the head with a bottle, according to Deputy Police Chief Carmen Best.

The suspects then fled, and one fired at police, who returned fire, she said.

The female officer, age 42, was shot in the chest, but the bullet was stopped by her Kevlar vest. The male officer, 30, was shot in the chin and the rib cage, according to Best.

The female officer is in satisfactory condition, according to Harborview Medical Center. The male officer is in critical condition.

Update, 2:45 p.m.:

City officials are hosting a news conference near the shooting investigation.

“This is still an active crime scene,” Mayor Ed Murray said.

Update, 2:32 p.m.:

Seattle police have released new information on the officers who were shot:

One is male and the other is female. Medics have taken them to Harborview Medical Center for treatment.

Also, now police say a second suspect suffered what are described as “significant injuries” and are seeking a third suspect.

Update, 2:31 p.m.:

Transportation officials are urging people to avoid the downtown area and warning commuters of delays.

Follow @kcmetrobus, @seattledot and @SeattlePD on Twitter for live traffic updates.

Update, 2:23 p.m.:

An employee who answered the phone at a 7-Eleven store at 627 First Avenue, near the foot of Cherry Street, said the robbery happened there, but “I don’t have time to talk right now.”

Update, 2:13 p.m.:

Police have arrested a person who they believe was involved in the incident, according to Seattle Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole.

Update, 2 p.m.:

Dozens of police vehicles and officers have blocked off an area outside the Henry M. Jackson Federal Building to investigate.

Some officers are wearing tactical gear and carrying rifles. Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are at the scene.

“This is a dangerous area. You don’t want to be here. There are guns,” an officer told a reporter near the area.

Officers appear to be searching for the shooter.

Original post, 1:48 p.m.:

Seattle Times reporters and photographers are heading to the scene.

Police ask that people avoid the area as they investigate.

This post will be updated.