From The Associated Press
The Army says about 100 soldiers have been released from lockdown at Joint Base Lewis-McChord but criminal investigators continue their probe into the theft of $600,000 worth of weapons accessories.
In a statement, the Army said the soldiers from the 4th Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division were allowed to go home Tuesday evening. They had been restricted to their battalion headquarters since Jan. 4.
The missing items include night vision goggles, laser sights and rifle scopes.
Most Read Local Stories
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- 2 killed in crash on I-90 after car hydroplaned, officials say
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- Washington state workers are getting exemptions to avoid the COVID-19 vaccine — but will they keep their jobs?
Brigade commander Col. Michael Getchell said in the statement that the restrictions “have been an integral part of the investigation.”
An Associated Press phone message to the investigating office was not immediately returned Tuesday night.