Two Washington state legislators introduced bills on Wednesday that would outlaw use of chlorinated Tris, a suspected carcinogen, in children's products.
OLYMPIA — Washington state legislators announced plans Wednesday to ban a suspected carcinogen from being used as a flame retardant in children’s products.
Rep. Mary Lou Dickerson, D-Seattle, and Sen. Sharon Nelson, D-Seattle, said their identical bills would also prevent manufacturers from replacing chlorinated Tris with other chemicals that pose health risks to children.
“As a mom, as well as a legislator, we can’t continue to allow these products to be in our kids bedding” and other products, said Nelson.
She and Dickerson pointed to a recent study by the Washington Toxics Coalition that found 16 of 20 baby and children’s products tested — including car seats, changing pads and bassinets — contained large amounts of chlorinated Tris.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- He found an intact headstone buried in his Seattle backyard. You might, too
- 60,000 Seattle-area renters are behind on rent as eviction moratoriums near expiration
The chemical was used in children’s pajamas in the 1970s but was voluntarily taken off the market by the industry after it was suspected of causing cancer. It is today primarily used as a fire retardant in polyurethane foam, a highly flammable but cost-effective component of many children’s products.
If passed into law, the legislation would ban the use of chlorinated Tris in children’s products in amounts exceeding 50 parts per million.
“Parents shouldn’t have to be chemists to know whether or not a product is safe for their child,” Dickerson said.
Both bills will receive public hearings Tuesday.
In a statement, American Chemistry Council spokesman Bryan Goodman said banning chlorinated Tris would be premature given that Washington state’s Department of Ecology has yet to weigh in on its safety.