Yakima man dies in fiery crash; two others injured.
PROSSER, Wash. (AP) — A Yakima man died when he overcorrected and his car was struck by another and caught fire late Saturday afternoon, according to the Washington State Patrol.
Dirk J. Berends, 30, was deceased at the scene of the 4 p.m. collision on State Route 221 at County Well Road, about seven miles south of Prosser, authorities said. He was wearing his seatbelt.
Berends was northbound on SR 221 as a vehicle driven by Adan Montes-Ortiz, 47, of Sunnyside was southbound. Berends left the roadway to the right and overcorrected, crossing into the southbound lane, and was struck by Montes-Ortiz. Both vehicles caught fire, troopers said.
Montes-Ortiz and his passenger, Jose Lopez-Cruz, 17, also of Sunnyside, both wore their seatbelts but were injured and transported to Kadlec Medical Center. Their conditions weren’t immediately available.
Most Read Local Stories
- The myth at the heart of the praying Bremerton coach case
- Renton man, teenage daughters starved to death, medical examiner determines
- What the weather has in store for Seattle's Fourth of July weekend
- Fire damages landmark Wayne Apartments in Belltown
- Shootings in Seattle are increasing. Shootings connected to homelessness are increasing faster
No charges are expected, according to authorities.