A 45-year-old West Seattle man who was charged in March with raping a Renton woman was charged last week in a second rape case, accused of sexually assaulting a 25-year-old woman two years ago after he offered her a ride home.

Share story

Two years ago, a young woman phoned her mother from a smoke shop on Tukwila International Boulevard in Tukwila to say she was stranded without bus fare to get home.

King County prosecutors say Oscar Urbina, 45, overheard the woman’s conversation and offered her a ride — but then attacked her, dragging her from his car and raping her in the Highline area of unincorporated King County just after midnight on April 13, 2014.

After the then-25-year-old woman was found crying, she was taken to Harborview Medical Center, but male DNA found on her body didn’t match any of the DNA profiles in a law-enforcement database.

According to prosecutors, DNA in the 25-year-old’s case was recently matched to Urbina’s DNA after he was accused of raping a 36-year-old Renton woman in March.

In that case, he is accused of picking the woman up in White Center, then beating and choking her and refusing to let her leave his West Seattle apartment after she had sex with him once in exchange for $40, say the papers. The woman told police Urbina became enraged when she tried to phone a friend to tell the friend where she was, they say.

Urbina raped the woman twice, choked her, beat her with her cellphone and threatened to kill her and dump her body before she was able to flee his apartment and call police from a nearby convenience store, according to the charges.

Seattle police responded and arrested Urbina as he left his apartment a little after 10 a.m. on March 7. Inside, police found used condoms, blood spatter and other signs of a struggle, according to the charges.

The alleged victim in the March rape underwent a sexual-assault examination at Harborview Medical Center.

Urbina was charged in March with second-degree rape and second-degree assault with sexual motivation in connection with the attack on the 36-year-old, court records say.

Last week, he was charged with second-degree rape and second-degree assault with sexual motivation for sexually assaulting the 25-year-old woman in April 2014.

“The defendant was identified only a short time ago when the male DNA profile from the victim’s rape kit ‘hit’ on the defendant’s DNA profile,” Senior Deputy Prosecutor Carla Carlstrom wrote in charging documents.

After raping the 25-year-old, Urbina threw the woman’s purse and cellphone into some sticker bushes, the charges say. The woman told investigators Urbina choked her, bit her, tried twice to run her over with his car, threatened to kill her and accused her of stealing his wallet, the charges say.

She wrote his license-plate number on her arm but was off by one digit, the charges say.

Urbina remains in custody in the King County Jail in lieu of $400,000 bail, according to jail records.