Seattle police say a 22-year-old woman suffered life-threatening injuries when she was attacked by her boyfriend Sunday in a University District apartment. Both are students at the University Washington.

Share story

Update at 4:35 p.m. Tuesday: Seattle police said the woman died from her injuries Tuesday afternoon at Harborview Medical Center. The case is now being investigated as a homicide.

Original story: A 22-year-old woman isn’t expected to survive after she was attacked by her boyfriend Sunday afternoon in her University District apartment, according to Seattle police.

The woman and her boyfriend of six months are both University of Washington students.

The 21-year-old man made his first court appearance Monday, when a judge found probable cause to hold him on investigation of domestic-violence assault and set bail at $1 million, according to King County prosecutors. Formal charges are expected to be filed Wednesday.

The Seattle Times generally does not identify suspects until they are charged.

A neighbor called 911 soon after 2 p.m. Sunday and reported he could hear a male yelling, “You wanna die?” and “I will kill you,” according to the statement of probable cause outlining the police case against the suspect.

When officers knocked on the door, “they heard yells, moans, groans and screaming from inside the unit,” but when they identified themselves as police, “it went quiet,” the statement says. The officers knocked several times and got no response.

One officer went outside the building, peered through a glass door and radioed back that it appeared a male was strangling a female, the statement says.

The officers at the front of the building forced their way into the apartment, and pulled a man off the woman. The officers immediately starting CPR on the unresponsive woman, the statement says.

According to police, the man later told detectives he and his girlfriend had purchased LSD from a man on the street in the University District on Saturday afternoon, the statement said. They both took the LSD and then wandered around campus before returning to the woman’s apartment around 8 p.m., says the statement.

Police say the suspect told detectives he became paranoid and believed his girlfriend was plotting against him before he began repeatedly punching her in the face and head, kicking her and strangling her with his hands, the statement says.

He was treated at Harborview Medical Center for a broken wrist before being booked into jail, according to police.

His girlfriend was also taken to Harborview in critical condition.

According to the man’s Facebook page, he lives in Seattle but grew up in Richland.