The sergeant was relieved of duties after two female relatives filed a report with the Police Department alleging abuse, the department announced Friday night.

Share story

A Seattle police sergeant has been arrested amid allegations he repeatedly abused two relatives in Lake Forest Park, Seattle police said Friday night.

The sergeant, who has not been identified, was relieved of duties after the female relatives filed a report with the police department on April 1 alleging abuse, the department said in a statement. One alleged victim is a teenager and the other is a young adult.

After turning over his badge and gun, the sergeant was arrested without problems Friday, a Seattle police spokesman said. As of late evening, authorities intended to book him into King County Jail after questioning.

The Lake Forest Park Police Department headed the investigation, with help from other law-enforcement agencies, including the King County Sheriff’s Office, the statement says.

“At this time, neither the Lake Forest Park Police Department nor the SPD has information or reason to believe there is a threat to the public or additional abuse allegations outside of the employee’s family,” the statement says.

No details on the content of the allegations or abuse were available, Seattle police spokesman Detective Patrick Michaud said.

After the department received the alleged victims’ report, Seattle police Chief Kathleen O’Toole directed Seattle police sexual-assault and child-abuse detectives to contact them, the statement said.

The Office of Professional Accountability — which investigates complaints of police misconduct — will monitor the criminal case and will launch a separate administrative investigation at its conclusion, the statement says.

In 2013, police and child-protection officials investigated the same man for alleged abuse. Prosecutors declined to pursue the case due to insufficient evidence, and child-protection officials determined the allegations were unfounded, according to the statement.

The Office of Professional Accountability launched an administrative investigation into that case as well, which resulted in an inconclusive finding, the statement says.

For the most recent incident, if the sergeant is charged with a felony, his status with the Police Department will change to unpaid administrative leave, according to the statement.