Department of Defense says death of 25-year-old soldier, a trooper with the Washington State Patrol when not serving with the National Guard, is under investigation.
SEATTLE — The Department of Defense says a soldier from Seattle has died in Iraq in a non-combat related incident. The Army says 1st Lt. David A. Bauders died Friday on Al Asad Air Base.
Bauders was assigned to the Washington State National Guard’s 176th Engineer Company of Snohomish.
Capt. Joseph Siemandel of the Washington National Guard says the 176th Engineer Company constructed buildings and other structures. They had been deployed in Kuwait and Iraq since April.
Siemandel says the cause of Bauders’ death is still being investigated. The 25-year-old’s civilian job was as a trooper with the Washington State Patrol. He was single and did not have any children.
Most Read Local Stories
- A catatonic woman awakened after 20 years. Her story may change psychiatry
- This is exactly how not to fix the fentanyl crisis
- Cancer drug shortages lead to heart-wrenching decisions at WA hospitals VIEW
- WA's first alpine roller coaster opens in Leavenworth WATCH
- Why prosecutors in WA are recharging a man police nearly beat to death WATCH