A suspect in a Friday shooting who barricaded himself in a building near 10th Avenue South and East Yesler Way surrendered to a Seattle police SWAT team after a nearly three-hour standoff, police said.

Police had surrounded the building, which was unoccupied and under construction, after witnesses reported seeing a man matching the description of a shooting suspect run inside, detectives said.

Seattle Police Department Detective Valarie Carson, a public information officer, said the earlier incident involved an altercation between two men that ended when one shot the other in the hand.

The altercation initially involved the suspect and several people, according to police, citing witness accounts. The suspect fired the first shot at 12th Avenue South and South Jackson Street, then ran west on South Jackson. One of the men he had been arguing with followed.

The suspect went up the stairs of the Yesler Hill Climb, according to police, turned and fired down at the man in pursuit before running into the vacant building.

The 58-year-old victim was taken by medics to the hospital and his injuries were not life-threatening, according to Carson.


The incident drew a heavy police response and snarled downtown traffic. Even as a K-9 team and members of the SPD’s heavily armed SWAT team arrived in dark vans and armored vehicles, a department hostage negotiator was at the scene and officers using loudspeakers tried to persuade the 29-year-old inside the building to surrender. Carson said the suspect did not respond.

Around 7:35 p.m., a muffled blast was heard by media corralled near Broadway and Yesler. Traffic broadcast a few seconds later on the Seattle Police East Precinct scanner frequency announced the SWAT team had deployed a flash-bang device. A few minutes later, officers could be seen taking an individual in handcuffs from the scene.

Carson said no shots were fired during the arrest. She did not know whether officers recovered a weapon.

Police later discovered a round had hit a passing car at 12th Avenue South and South Jackson Street. The driver didn’t realize her car had been struck until after driving out of the area, and called 911 to report it about two hours later.

Staff reporter Nina Shapiro contributed to this report.