A 19-year-old Montana State University student from Sammamish, who was stabbed 45 times by an intruder over the weekend, wants to go back to school and play football next year.

Share story

A 19-year-old Montana college student from Sammamish, who was stabbed 45 times in a weekend attack, is planning to return to school in the fall to continue playing football, according to a friend of the family

“He’s in amazingly, unbelievably good spirits,” said Gina Lederman, who has known victim Sam Mix’s family since he and her daughter were in kindergarten together. “Even though he has injuries everywhere — his hands, his head, his underarm, his torso, you name it — he wants to go back for football and is worried about his ability to stay in good condition.”

In a telephone interview on Wednesday, Lederman said Mix had given the two other victims a ride home after an evening of celebrating graduation weekend at Montana State University-Northern in Havre in north-central Montana.

Mix and Taylor Woolman, 19, and Alicia Schneid, 20, had just arrived at the women’s home early Saturday morning and were having a snack when “all hell broke loose,” said Lederman.

A man entered the women’s home through a back window at around 4 a.m. and stabbed all three with a knife he grabbed in the home, according to Havre police Chief Gabe Matosich.

Mix was stabbed 45 times and was ultimately airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he was listed in satisfactory condition on Wednesday.

“We’re very fortunate that he is doing well,” said his mother, Jennifer Mix. “He is strong and healthy and none of his major organs were punctured.”

Schneid was stabbed seven times and has been treated and released, Havre police said.

Woolman, who was stabbed 20 times, was last listed in critical condition at a hospital in Billings, Mont.

Police said Schneid was able to escape and run to a neighbor’s house, where someone called 911.

Chief Matosich said 17-year-old Justice Lawrence Brown was arrested just minutes after the attack after police received a 911 call from another location.

Brown matched the description of the attacker and had “ quite a bit of what appeared to be blood all over him” when he was taken into custody, Matosich said.

Matosich said one of the victims was also able to identify him.

He said police have not yet uncovered a motive. Brown did not know the victims and did not seem determined to steal from them, he said.

“It appears to be a random act of violence,” he said. “We suspect drugs, alcohol or both may have played a role. Ninety-five percent of the crimes we investigate come back to that.”

Brown has been charged with three counts of attempted homicide and one count of aggravated burglary,

According to the Havre Daily News, the suspect told police he had blacked out and did not remember anything that happened after 2:30 a.m., court records said.

Brown was facing a trial in July for statutory rape involving a 13-year-old girl, obstructing a peace officer and endangering the welfare of children in an August incident, police said

Before the stabbings, a “pick up and hold” order had been issued for him by a district court, police said.

He is currently being held in the Cascade County juvenile-detention center in Great Falls in lieu of $250,000 bail.

Mix was a standout football player for Skyline High School before he went to Montana State University-Northern, where he was a starter his freshman year.

Although he is expected to recover, Mix still faces several surgeries, Lederman said. She said a gofundme.com page has been set up for people wishing to assist his family with his medical expenses.