Police have not officially said whether they have identified a motive or a suspect in the double slaying, but a source said the shooting is likely related to “drugs, gangs and territories.”

Share story

Seattle police have not said if they have identified a motive or a suspect in Wednesday’s deadly Pioneer Square shooting, but a police source said the shooting of two men is likely related to “drugs, gangs and territories.”

The men were shot about 5:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 400 block of Second Avenue Extension South. One man died at the scene, and the other was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where he later died, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

The two men were identified Thursday as Hersey Purvis, 28; and Isaiah Whitmore, 24.

Investigators and detectives were at the scene for several hours Wednesday marking evidence and talking to witnesses. Police closed Second Avenue South between Yesler Way and South Washington Street as they investigated.

The area has been the scene of several recent shootings.

A man who would only give a street name of “Dub” was camped about a block away. He said he was reading when he heard about six to seven gunshots, he said.

“I heard a female scream, ‘Oh my God,’ ” he said.

He said he then heard several women crying.

Dub said he didn’t hear any commotion before the shooting. “I didn’t hear an argument or anything.”

People living and working nearby said people sleep on the street there, and they see drugs and alcohol.

Alicia Bolivar, who lives in an apartment near where the shooting took place, said that “there’s always activity out here.”

“I try not to pay too much attention. It’s where I live. I feel like they’re my neighbors,” she said.

But Bolivar said she did not always feel safe in the area. “I try not to come home late at night,” she said.

Recently, one of her neighbors had her window shot out, Bolivar said.

Bolivar said she had been homeless before and had compassion for those living on the street, but that the police should increase their presence.

“It doesn’t feel like officers spend enough time in the area or care. There’s so much activity,” she said.

The area has been the site of several shootings since last summer.

Just after 9 p.m. Dec. 28, a woman was wounded near Second Avenue Extension South and South Washington Street. Police arrested a suspect and recovered a handgun.

A 20-year-old man suffered life-threatening wounds Aug. 31 when he was shot several times in the 300 block of Second Avenue Extension South. The shooter fled in a car, police said.

On Aug. 28, a person was shot in the leg at South Main Street and Second Avenue South.

A juvenile was arrested in connection with the shooting.