The man was reportedly advancing on police with a knife when one officer opened fire. The man later died at an Everett hospital.

Share story

A Lake Stevens man fatally shot by a police officer Thursday morning had threatened to “kill cops” in a 911 call just before the shooting, according to investigators.

The man was armed with a knife and advancing on officers when he was shot southwest of Lake Stevens, Everett police Officer Aaron Snell said in a news release.

Police said a male made a 911 around 10:15 a.m. from the man’s home in the 7100 block of 18th Place Southeast and said, “I want to kill cops.” Before officers arrived at the home, additional 911 calls came from witnesses who said there was a knife-wielding man walking around the area with blood on his shirt, Snell said.

Police arrived in the area around 10:30 a.m. and were directed by witnesses to the man, who had wandered to an area between 70th Avenue Southeast and Highway 204. Officers found the man and ordered him to drop the knife, Snell said.

The man ignored the officers’ orders and advanced on police, reportedly saying, “Just kill me,” Snell said.

Police tried using a Taser on the man, but it was unsuccessful. When the man continuing advancing, one officer fired one gunshot, hitting the man. Officers began performing CPR before the man was taken to Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, where he died.

Police recovered a knife from the man, Snell said.

The man is believed to be a 33-year-old from Lake Stevens.

Cause and manner of death, as well as the identity of the man, will be determined by the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office.

The police officer who killed the man has been with Lake Stevens police for a little over a year and has been placed on administrative leave, Snell said.

The shooting is being investigated by the Snohomish County Multiple Agency Response Team, which is made of detectives from various law-enforcement agencies.

It’s the second deadly police shooting in Snohomish County since Jan. 30, when a man was killed by Lynnwood police as he darted in and out of traffic on Highway 99. Police said the man had advanced on officers while holding a knife and ignored repeated commands to drop the weapon.