Six were Kitsap County sheriff’s deputies and the other two were from the Bainbridge Island and Bremerton police departments. All are members of a regional SWAT team.
BAINBRIDGE ISLAND — Authorities have released the names of the eight officers involved in a fatal shooting of a boater off Bainbridge Island, but still do not know which officers’ shot killed the man.
The Kitsap Sun reports six of the officers were Kitsap County sheriff’s deputies and the other two were from the Bainbridge Island Police Department and Bremerton Police Department. All are members of the Kitsap County regional SWAT team.
The SWAT team had been responding to reports of someone shooting from a boat on July 9 when that person turned the gun and started shooting at them. Authorities say 34-year-old Robert D. Yeiser fired 200 rounds toward officers and the shore before he was fatally shot.
Yeiser’s 50-foot sailboat was anchored off Eagle Harbor.
Most Read Local Stories
- The myth at the heart of the praying Bremerton coach case
- Cruise ship hits ice near Alaska coast, heads to Seattle for repairs
- Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo jettisons COO, conservation exec and animal care director
- WA license plates to get more expensive July 1
- Doctor who clashed with anti-mask crowd in Missouri named new King County public health director
The officers involved in the shooting were Cpl. Dahle Roessel of the Bremerton Police Department; Officer Dale Johnson of Bainbridge Island police; and deputies Anthony Graham, Shane Hanson, Andrew Hren, Eric Janson, Greg Rice and Sgt. Wilson Sapp of the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office.