Mountlake Terrace police continue to seek the public’s help in the case of 54-year-old Cheryl DeBoer, who disappeared more than a week ago.

Share story

Mountlake Terrace police Monday still had not confirmed the identity of a woman’s body found in a culvert over the weekend, but they continue to seek the public’s help in the case of 54-year-old Cheryl DeBoer, missing for more than a week.

Cmdr. Kevin Pickard, appearing at Monday news conference, however, said the body “matches the description of Cheryl.”

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center officials said Sunday the body of a woman found in a Mountlake Terrace culvert Sunday afternoon was DeBoer, who worked at the center.

An autopsy was conducted Monday, Pickard said.

“We characterize the whole situation as suspicious,” said Assistant Police Chief Pete Caw

Police are asking for help in trying to find out what happened to DeBoer, who was reported missing Feb. 8.

Pickard said police hope people will come forward with anything they might have seen or heard from 7 a.m. that day near the Mountlake Park and Ride to around 12:30 p.m. Sunday in the area, where the body was found, near 244th Street Southwest and Cedar Way.

“Any vehicle, people, noises — something — please call us,” Pickard said. The number to call is 425-670-8260.

Searchers had been combing neighborhoods, parks and woods in the area since DeBoer failed to show up at work at Fred Hutch.

DeBoer’s husband found her car that day in the 23400 block of 58th Avenue Southwest, just east of the park-and-ride lot near Veterans Memorial Park, an area used for overflow parking for the transit center.

Around 12:30 p.m. Sunday, a group of volunteers found the body in a large, grassy area maintained by the city, about a mile and a half southeast of where DeBoer’s vehicle had been found, Pickard said

DeBoer was supposed to have met a friend at the park and ride and carpool to work, police have said.

The friend received a text from her around 7 a.m. last Monday indicating she had left her work ID badge at home, and after fetching it would catch a bus instead, police said.

Her husband reported her missing midday after he heard she did not show up for work.

Caw said last week that records show DeBoer didn’t use her ORCA pass for a bus ride that morning, though she could have used cash.

There had been no activity on her cellphone or bank account, he said at the time.