Lana J. Carlson had bought a food truck and planned to operate it, with her elder son, as a business enterprise. But Carlson, her two sons and a neighbor were all slain, presumably by her husband, who later killed himself in rural Mason County.

Share story

Lana J. Carlson had bought a food truck and registered a business called Crispy Edges, according to a neighbor of the rural Belfair woman.

Her son Tory was in on the idea, too, and planned to help. Tory had entered his second year at Olympic College in the culinary-arts program.

As Carlson talked about opening the food truck, “We’d just sit here and eat all the little things she was trying out,” said Adeline Peebles, another friend of the family.

But Carlson’s husband, David Wayne Campbell, cut that dream short when he allegedly shot to death Carlson, Tory, another son and a neighbor.

Campbell, 51, later shot himself to death in front of law-enforcement officers after an hourslong standoff.

Police say they used tear gas to flush Campbell out from the remote, wooded property near Belfair, on the Kitsap Peninsula.

The Mason County Sheriff’s Office released a timeline Saturday of the standoff, which began after Campbell called a sheriff’s office supervisor Friday morning to say he had done something bad and was suicidal.

A small number of deputies initially responded, speaking with Campbell by phone and setting up a perimeter to keep him on the property until a SWAT team could arrive.

Over 3½ hours, trained negotiators tried to persuade Campbell to surrender, but “It became evident that the suspect was not going to leave the residence voluntarily,” according to the sheriff’s office. Deputies could see him pacing inside, often holding a handgun to his head.

When they deployed tear gas in the house, Campbell came outside with a gun in his hand and yelled at police. He then returned indoors before coming out once more, putting the gun to his temple and firing as the police watched.

Authorities said they found other bodies in a chicken coop on the property. Mason County Coroner Wes Stockwell released the identities of three of them Saturday: Carlson, 49, Campbell’s wife of six years, and her sons, Quinn and Tory Carlson, who were 16 and 18, respectively.

Stockwell said he was withholding the identity of the fourth victim pending notification of relatives.

When deputies first contacted Campbell, a 12-year-old girl fled from the home, the timeline said. Authorities said she wasn’t shot, but they used a military-surplus armored vehicle to pick her up and bring her safely past the home so she could be evaluated by medical personnel.

“Apparently she’s OK,” said Chief Deputy Ryan Spurling of the sheriff’s department. “I don’t know if this is a daughter, or stepdaughter, or what the relationship is, but she escaped from the house.”

Jack Pigott, who lives just down the road, said he heard gunshots Thursday night. It was common for the family to do shooting practice, Pigott said. That’s what he assumed Thursday’s gunfire was.

“I was getting a load of wood into the house, and I hear some gunshots,” he said. “Four or five, a pause and then another round.”

A friend’s disbelief

Campbell and Carlson were married in November 2009, according to King County records. The two boys were adopted by Carlson from another country during a previous marriage, Pigott said, as well as a daughter who was adopted from China. Carlson’s previous husband died of cancer, he said.

Campbell ran a business called Campbell Family Heating and Air Conditioning, according to state records, while Carlson — who also went by Lana Jane Campbell — had registered the business, Crispy Edges. She and Campbell had been working on the food truck but had not been able to secure the county permits needed to operate it, according to Pigott.

Tory was in his second year at Olympic College, on track to graduate this spring, according to a news statement from the college.

“Tory was passionate about the culinary field and had plans to partner with his mom to operate a food truck,” said Christopher Plemmons, a culinary-arts professor, in the statement. “He was a very kind student. He cared about his classmates, and his classmates cared about him.”

Peebles, 39, whose husband had worked with Campbell, said the two families were so close they spent holidays together, sometimes birthdays. She described Tory as “the best kid” and a “hard worker” who “wouldn’t talk back.”

Campbell “loved his family, he did everything for them,” said Peebles.

“I can’t believe this happened,” she added.

“Outbursts of rage”

But an ex-employee of Campbell’s described the business owner as “prone to outbursts of rage and anger.”

Joe Gallegos, a Bremerton resident, said he sought a restraining order against Campbell. The two had a dispute over work in July 2015, according to Gallegos, 49, when Campbell came to his home.

“He threatened me with his pistol and told me he could bury me in the 11 acres next door to his property and no one would ever find me,” said Gallegos, who worked for Campbell for about 10 months until July 2015.

That same month, the state Department of Labor and Industries cited Campbell for a license violation for not giving “the required disclosure statement signed and dated by the customer.”

In 2011, the department cited Campbell for “Advertising, offering to do work, submitting a bid or performing work when not registered as a contractor, as required.”

Gallegos said Campbell “was always high on Percocets.”

Pigott described Campbell as “heavily medicated with something.”

Pigott added that Campbell had recently been hospitalized, but he didn’t know why.

Campbell and Carlson just last week lost a civil case in King County Superior Court that had been brought against Campbell Family Heating and Air Conditioning. A default judgment awarded $4,000 to Ferguson Receivables, LLC.