Police are investigating whether a man arrested for allegedly threatening a Seattle mosque also made threats against a Redmond mosque.

Share story

A Seattle man accused of threatening a Seattle mosque Tuesday posted his plans on Facebook, writing the “final crusade against islam has begun” while including a photo of the Idris Mosque in Northgate, according to court papers.

The 37-year-old posted several threats against Muslims as well as a photo of an AR-15 assault-style rifle, while emailing a sister that he was on his way to the mosque, according to an affidavit of probable cause.

The man was arrested Tuesday afternoon after a brief standoff at his North Seattle apartment.

A judge Wednesday found probable cause to hold him on investigation of malicious harassment, the state’s hate-crime statute. The Seattle Times is not naming the man because he has not been charged.

The police report does not indicate whether he was armed when he was arrested.

Police were alerted to the threats about noon, when the man allegedly posted on Facebook, “I don’t care who reads this, I will take revenge,” an apparent reference to the mass shooting that killed 49 people at a nightclub in Orlando, Fla., on Sunday. By 2 p.m., officers and a SWAT team surrounded his Greenwood apartment, about three miles from the Idris Mosque.

According to police, the man may have been talking on the phone throughout the brief standoff. During that time, Seattle police were notified by New York Police Department dispatch that the man’s sister had called 911 and reported her brother had emailed her claiming he was going to shoot himself, police said.

The man came out of his apartment about 3 p.m. and was taken into custody. Police say he was intoxicated and confirmed he had written the Facebook posts, according to the affidavit.

The man was previously convicted of harassment in Texas, according to court records.

Seattle police also learned the man is under investigation for making terrorist threats against an individual in Hedwig Village, a suburb of Houston, according to the affidavit.

Also, a woman who used to know the suspect and asked to remain anonymous told The Times he had harassed her over the internet about 2010, while she was living in Mississippi. She said he has a temper and is very political.

Redmond police are trying to determine whether the man also threatened a Redmond mosque Sunday.

Becky Range, spokeswoman for the Redmond Police Department, said Wednesday that investigators are working closely with the FBI to determine if he was responsible for several anonymous calls made to police threatening worshippersat the Redmond mosque.

Meanwhile, the FBI said Wednesday that agents are also investigating threats posted online against LGBT bars in Seattle and Tacoma. Agents have interviewed a Spokane resident in connection with the threats, but the FBI provided no other details.

An FBI news release says it has no information to indicate the threats are credible.

Information in this article, originally published June 15, 2016, was corrected June 16, 2016. Due to an editing error, a previous version of this story incorrectly stated that the suspect was being held for investigation of malicious mischief. He was being held for investigation of malicious harassment.