Eugene Nelson, 20, of Seattle, had warrants out for his arrest on an alleged domestic-violence assault and another in connection with the theft of a car from a Seattle auto dealership.

Share story

A 20-year-old Seattle man who was killed by Kent police early Wednesday was wanted on a felony warrant for allegedly stealing a BMW from a Seattle car dealership in May after posing as a customer, court records show.

The $25,000 arrest warrant was signed by a King County Superior Court judge on Tuesday, roughly 10 hours before Eugene Nelson was accused of violating a domestic-violence no-contact order when he showed up at his ex-girlfriend’s work at a Kent strip mall in the 23600 block of 104th Avenue Southeast, according to court records and Kent police.

It was the third time Nelson had violated the order, twice within the previous 24 hours, Kent police Cmdr. Jarod Kasner wrote in a news release.

At 12:04 a.m. Wednesday, police responded to a 911 call at the strip mall and attempted to contact Nelson. He ran to his vehicle and started the engine, police said.

A K-9 officer and his police dog tried to stop Nelson and both were dragged by the vehicle, suffering minor injuries, police said.

Two officers fired at the man several times and he died at the scene, according to police.

The investigation into the shooting is being conducted by the Valley Investigative Team, a group of detectives from South King County police agencies that examine officer-involved shootings in the area, with the Renton Police Department taking the lead. The two officers who fired at the man have been placed on paid administrative leave, as is standard in officer-involved shootings.

On Thursday, the King County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the man as Nelson and determined he died from multiple gunshot wounds.

Nelson, apparently found out in April that his 21-year-old ex-girlfriend was seeking a no-contact order against him, according to the police report that’s part of a misdemeanor case filed in Kent Municipal Court.

On April 26, he showed up at her Kent apartment, grabbed her jacket, shook her and then bit her on the face, the police report says. After briefly driving off with her in his car, Nelson brought her back home and demanded she get the paperwork for the domestic-violence no-contact order, it says.

Instead, the woman went inside and called 911.

Nelson was charged with fourth-degree assault domestic violence. As a result, a no-contact order was issued, barring him from contacting his ex-girlfriend, the records say.

Three weeks later, Nelson was accused of going to an auto dealer in the 9000 block of Aurora Avenue North, where he asked about buying a 2008 BMW 335i and took the vehicle on a test drive, court records say. Back at the dealership, he surreptitiously palmed the BMW’s keys off the manager’s desk, walked to the car and drove it off the lot, the charges say.

On June 4, a Seattle police officer who was familiar with Nelson found the BMW parked on the street near the man’s house in Rainier Valley, according to charging papers. A car-lot employee identified Nelson from a police photo montage and the man was charged Tuesday with theft of a motor vehicle, say the charges.

The charge generated the $25,000 felony warrant.

On June 30, a Kent Municipal Court judge issued a $5,000 bench warrant for Nelson’s arrest after he failed to appear in court on the fourth-degree assault charge stemming from the April 26 incident with his ex-girlfriend, according to the municipal court records.

Included in the case file in Kent Municipal Court is an Aug. 4 letter from Tukwila police, requesting a copy of the no-contact order and indicating that Nelson had been arrested Aug. 2 in Tukwila for violating the order, the records say.

It was not immediately known where the two other alleged violations of the no-contact order occurred.