Two days, two close friends and two shootings, but police in Seattle and Federal Way say the slayings are not related.

Share story

The fatal shootings of two good friends in Federal Way and Seattle were a tragic coincidence but unrelated, law-enforcement sources said Tuesday.

Muldhata Dawud, 20, was killed just after 1 a.m. Thursday in a drive-by shooting in Federal Way and his close friend Zakariya Issa, 20, was fatally shot in Seattle on Friday afternoon while walking home from a prayer service for Dawud.

Law-enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigations say the two shootings are not connected and that a suspect has been identified in each homicide.

Dawud, of Seattle, had gone with a group of friends to a party in Federal Way on Wednesday night, according to Federal Way police spokeswoman Cathy Shrock.

He was in a car with five other people when another car pulled up alongside them in the 32500 block of First Avenue South and gunfire erupted, she said.

The three young men in the back seat of the car, including Dawud, were struck, police said. The other two victims, 18 and 19, suffered nonlife-threatening wounds, police said.

Schrock said police think there was some sort of altercation between the victims and the shooter.

“We do not think this was a random shooting,” she said.

The gunman was described as a stocky black man with dreadlocks who was driving a red Chevrolet Impala or a similar vehicle, police said.

Schrock said a suspect in Dawud’s shooting had been identified and the information had been shared in a bulletin with other area police.

The following day, Issa attended a prayer service for Dawud at the Oromo Community Center at 8810 Renton Ave. S. in Seattle.

A friend of Issa’s who asked not to be named said Dawud and Issa had been longtime friends who had spent a lot of time in each other’s homes and were almost like brothers.

Issa was walking home from the Friday afternoon service talking on the phone with his mother when he was shot just after 3 p.m. at 44th Avenue South and South Cloverdale Street, police said.

Early reports said Issa had been on his way to a second funeral when he was killed, but police and Issa’s friend said that wasn’t the case.

Instead, he had been on his way home to change and was intending to go to a post-funeral get-together, the friend said.

Witnesses told police that they saw Issa walking down the street in traditional Islamic robes when a car raced up to him and a man got out, said two law-enforcement sources.

The man from the car started yelling at Issa and then punched or knocked Issa to the ground, witnesses told police. The man then pulled out a gun, yelled again and then shot Issa in the head, the sources said.

Issa’s friend and one police source said Issa had been suspected of stealing from a member of the South Seattle gang to which they both belonged.

“It was a disagreement about money,” said Issa’s friend. “He was a good kid, but … he did not always do the smartest thing.”

Federal Way police have said they are not yet sure whether Dawud was the intended target in Thursday’s shooting.

Speaking of Issa’s death, one of the Seattle law-enforcement sources said, “It sounds like our guy was probably going to be killed regardless of what happened in Federal Way.”

Seattle police spokesman Patrick Michaud said he could not comment on the slaying of Issa other than to say that police have increased patrols in the area of the shooting and that homicide and gang units continue to investigate.