A 2-year-old girl was among four victims of a shooting Sunday afternoon at a Central District strip mall at South Jackson Street and 23rd Avenue South.

The toddler was hospitalized in critical condition, police said. Police offered no details about the suspects, except that there are more than one and they remain at large.

“When a 2-year-old is the victim of a shooting, it’s a really tough thing, even for officers to respond to,” Seattle police spokesperson Detective Valerie Carson said.

Interim Police Chief Adrian Diaz was briefly on scene during the investigation to speak with officers.

Police received multiple calls at 3:22 p.m. reporting the crime, according to Carson.

At least one gunman, a pedestrian, was walking south on 23rd Avenue, rounded the corner of an AutoZone store and fired east into the parking lot of a strip mall, where the victims were struck, Carson said.


The girl and three men were transported to hospitals in private vehicles before police and medics arrived. Harborview Medical Center spokesperson Susan Gregg confirmed that the 2-year-old remained in critical condition as of Monday morning. Two men had been taken to that hospital in satisfactory condition. It was not clear which hospital the fourth victim was taken to, and information about his condition was not available.

An hour after the shooting, police tape cordoned off half of the parking lot of the strip mall, sealing off access to a T-Mobile store, two restaurants and the AutoZone. Evidence placards littered the sidewalk around the AutoZone. From nearby apartments, neighbors watched on balconies while police processed the scene.

The passenger rear window of a red sedan parked in front of the AutoZone was obliterated.

Anyone with information about the shooting can share it with homicide detectives by calling 206-233-5000.

Seattle Times reporter Sara Jean Green contributed to this report.

Note: Seattle police confirmed Sunday evening that there were four victims of the shooting. Police initially said there were four victims, but later on Sunday afternoon had adjusted that number to three.