A shoplifting suspect ran across Interstate 5 near Lynnwood Wednesday morning, causing several traffic collisions before he was taken into custody.
A fleeing shoplifting suspect ran across Interstate 5 near Lynnwood on Wednesday, causing several traffic accidents before he was arrested, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.
The suspect was confronted by a security guard after he was caught shoplifting around 9:30 a.m. at the Wal-Mart on 164th Street Southwest, just east of I-5.
After a brief scuffle, the suspect ran west, jumped from an on-ramp onto I-5 and bolted across the north- and southbound lanes of the interstate, the sheriff’s office said.
An off-duty police officer in the area apprehended the suspect, the sheriff’s office said. A deputy suffered minor injuries during the incident.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle business owner killed during robbery was popular singer's father
- UW School of Medicine pulls out of U.S. News rankings
- In Seattle, the 'shadow epidemic' has passed COVID
- Sammamish couple charged with manslaughter in toddler's fentanyl death
- Washington traffic safety is 'a crisis that we can’t ignore,' lawmakers say
The sheriff’s office said the traffic collisions were minor. No other details were immediately released.