Grant County Sheriff’s office lifts evacuation order after wildfire threatened homes
SMYRNA — A wildfire is no longer threatening a tiny community in central Washington, allowing law enforcement authorities to call off a mandatory evacuation order.
The Grant County Sheriff’s office issued the evacuation order on Saturday for residents in Smyrna, located just south of Royal City. An estimated 20 homes were ordered to evacuate. However, after a successful night of firefighters keeping the flames away from homes and stabilizing a primary containment line, officials lifted the order on Sunday.
The cause of the fire, which first sparked on Friday, is still under investigation.
Fire officials are still evaluating how much of the fire is under control.
Most Read Local Stories
- Nearly 40% of U.S. adults have strong feelings about Seattle
- Seattle in for more heat, smoke before cooldown, chance of rain
- Monday night, Jupiter to make closest approach in nearly 60 years
- Property tax levy proposed to fund mental health care in King County
- '50% was a mistake': Seattle City Council abandoned the idea of defunding police