Child shot in Kent drive-by shooting has died, hospital officials say.
A 1-year-old girl shot in the head Thursday in a drive-by shooting in Kent has died, according to a hospital official.
A spokeswoman for UW Medicine said Malaja Miracle Grant died after care at Harborview Medical Center was withdrawn Saturday night. The child was brain-dead, said UW Medicine communications manager Bobbi Nodell in an email sent Saturday at 9:45 p.m.
“The family expresses appreciation for the support of the community, and requests privacy at this time,” Nodell said.
According to police, the baby was in a car seat in the back of a silver Chevrolet Impala and her parents were in the front when someone opened fire on the vehicle around 4:30 p.m. Thursday near Lake Fenwick Road and Reith Road.
Most Read Local Stories
- West Seattle Bridge reopening date announced
- Harborview Medical Center will temporarily stop accepting some patients due to capacity issues
- How to spend less time in Sea-Tac Airport lines for passenger pickup, drop-off
- New UW study shows how COVID lockdowns affected Northwest birds
- CDC drops quarantine, distancing recommendations for COVID
A black car pulled up alongside the silver car near the Lake Fenwick Estates apartments and both the driver and passenger in the black vehicle opened fire, then drove off, police said.