An Amber Alert was issued Monday but canceled after the three were located. Authorities say the father took off Friday with only a diaper bag and that one child’s health was in jeopardy.
KIMBALL, S.D. — Authorities in South Dakota say two children taken from their home in Washington state by their father are safe, and the father has been detained.
South Dakota’s Department of Public Safety issued an Amber Alert late Monday for the children from Maple Valley. Authorities say the 38-year-old father had left with the 1- and 3-year-old children on Friday, and that the 3-year-old has complicated and life-threatening medical conditions.
Authorities released few details except to say that the father had left home with only a diaper bag, and that the 3-year-old’s health was believed to be in jeopardy.
The Amber Alert was canceled after less than two hours when the father was detained in Kimball. Details of his status weren’t immediately released.
Most Read Local Stories
- Tsunami threat recedes from huge Pacific volcanic eruption
- Washington experiences only slight tsunami surges from undersea eruption near Tonga
- Politicians in Washington state are going on a censorship jag
- Seattle police will no longer enforce some minor violations, including biking without a helmet
- Everett pub owner arrested, charged with 10 counts of second-degree rape