A KING5 series of stories that looked at possible fraud by companies involved in the state’s minority contracting program has prompted Gov. Chris Gregoire to ask the Washington State Patrol to investigate.
The governor wants patrol investigators to look into whether the abuses detailed in the KING 5 report violated criminal laws, according to KING5’s Web site.
The report raised questions about how one minority-owned contractor — Leajak — was able to continue winning government business after an investigator from the Office of Minority and Women’s Business Enterprises (OMWBE) found evidence otherwise.
Here’s part one of the series: State officials ignore fraud, waste in minority contracting program, by series author, KING5 reporter Susannah Frame.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- 2 killed in crash on I-90 after car hydroplaned, officials say
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise