Share story

Fireworks lit a two-story Kent house on fire Thursday afternoon. (Kent Fire Department photo)

Fireworks ignited the cedar-shake roof of a two-story Kent home Thursday afternoon, according to the Kent Fire Department.

Investigators say the fire that occurred around 1 p.m.  on the 20800 block of 102 Place Southeast was accidental, according to Kyle Ohashi, a department spokesman. No one was inside the home when the fire took over the entire roof and reached the rafter of the second story, he said.

A few sparks caused a neighboring house’s cedar shake roof to smolder, but firefighters were able to quickly put out both fires, according to Ohashi.