Pierce County sheriff’s deputies say they believe Josh Powell, the husband of a Utah woman who has been missing since 2009, and their two young boys were killed in a home explosion in Graham on Sunday afternoon.
A case worker dropped the boys off at Powell’s home for a visitation.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- There's an opening for the GOP in Washington state — and they're squandering it on conspiracies
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 22: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Swinomish tribal members say steelhead net pens violate fishing rights, add their voice to state Supreme Court case
- See the competing Washington legislative maps drawn by Democrats, Republicans
The case worker “was forced out, and an explosion happened shortly thereafter,” said Ed Troyer, spokesman for the Pierce County Sheriff’s Office.
Troyer said all three bodies had been recovered, but their identities have not yet been confirmed. Troyer said the sheriff’s office is treating the explosion as an intentional act.
The house, at 8119 189th St. Court East, is considered unstable, but the flames are out, and no other nearby properties are in danger. Troyer said.
Powell has been a person of interest in the investigation into his wife’s disappearance but has not been arrested or charged in the case.