The Defense Department says a sergeant from Joint Base Lewis McChord has died at an Army medical center in San Antonio, Texas, from wounds he suffered earlier this month from an improvised explosive in Afghanistan's Kandahar province.
The Defense Department says a sergeant from Joint Base Lewis McChord has died at an Army medical center in San Antonio, Texas, from wounds he suffered earlier this month from an improvised explosive in Afghanistan’s Kandahar province.
The News-Tribune ( http://is.gd/k2ubXB) reports Sgt. Louis Torres of Oberlin, Ohio, was a combat veteran who was assigned to the base for most of his career. He was serving on his second deployment with Lewis-McChord’s 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division.
The 23-year-old belonged to a conventional infantry unit that trained to work with Special Operations Forces in Afghanistan by guarding outposts and supporting raids.
Torres joined the Army in June 2008 and had been with Lewis-McChord units since October of that year. He served with the 3rd Brigade in Iraq from August 2009 to June 2010, when it was one of the last combat brigades to fight there.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- King County customers of restaurants, theaters, gyms must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- COVID-19 kills Moses Lake couple, orphans their 8-year-old after visit to the fair
- 15-year-old SeaTac girl charged with murder, hit-and-run in July death of Maple Valley runner
- Scientists spot rare, mysterious right whales in waters off Alaska
Twenty-four Lewis-McChord soldiers have died in Afghanistan this year.
Information from: The News Tribune, http://www.thenewstribune.com