UPDATE, 11:40 a.m: Well, that was fast: The state Department of Transportation says I-90 has been reopened.
Planning on going across the mountains late morning or early afternoon? You may want to wait.
The state Department of Transportation has closed Interstate 90 for avalanche-control work. Eastbound traffic is stopped at milepost 56, near Gold Creek, and westbound traffic is stopped at milepost 61, near Price Creek.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- There's an opening for the GOP in Washington state — and they're squandering it on conspiracies
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 22: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Swinomish tribal members say steelhead net pens violate fishing rights, add their voice to state Supreme Court case
- Lummi Nation woman disappears during Las Vegas trip with fiancé and friends
The work, to bring down unstable snow, started shortly after 11 a.m. Transportation officials said they couldn’t estimate when the highway would reopen; we’ll post an update when one is available.