The 60-year-old man accidentally disturbed a hornets' nest while he was chopping firewood Friday.

Share story

A 60-year-old has man died from an allergic reaction to hornet stings while chopping wood at a campsite near Cle Elum, Kittitas County.

Medics and deputies arrived to the mountainous area off U.S. Forest Service Road 3350 around 2:30 p.m. Friday, where they found the man collapsed on the ground, according to the Kittitas County Sheriff’s Office. He was identified as Warren Brown of North Bend, King County.

Witnesses told authorities Brown was cutting wood for a campfire when he accidentally disturbed a hornets’ nest, according to a news release from the sheriff’s office. Kittitas County Undersheriff Clayton Myers said the man was allergic to the stings and he was not carrying an EpiPen.

Friends and medics tried to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at the scene, the release read.

The campsite is about 8 miles south of Cle Elum.