The Chelan County Sheriff’s Office says it’s looking for a hiker who vanished over the edge of a waterfall hole while sliding down Aasgard Pass in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.
LEAVENWORTH — The Chelan County Sheriff’s Office says it’s looking for a hiker who vanished over the edge of a waterfall hole while sliding down Aasgard Pass in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.
Sheriff Brian Burnett says several people were glissading down the snow Sunday night when a 24-year-old man who was in front plunged over the edge and into the rushing water below. The water flows back underneath the snow, and there was no sign of the man.
A Navy crew responded by air and searched with thermographic imaging, without success. On Monday the sheriff’s office said it was sending ground crews.
The hikers in the group had met each other the previous day, and the others did not know the missing man’s full name.
Most Read Local Stories
- Severity of 'bomb cyclone' uncertain, but Seattle area should prepare for wind, rain and power outages
- 'Bomb cyclone' expected in the Seattle area. Here's what to know
- Why losing daily walks to rainy season is hitting us hard — and what to do about it
- Amanda Knox was exonerated. That doesn’t mean she’s free
- Coronavirus daily news updates, October 22: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world