The Chelan County Sheriff’s Office says it’s looking for a hiker who vanished over the edge of a waterfall hole while sliding down Aasgard Pass in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.
LEAVENWORTH — The Chelan County Sheriff’s Office says it’s looking for a hiker who vanished over the edge of a waterfall hole while sliding down Aasgard Pass in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.
Sheriff Brian Burnett says several people were glissading down the snow Sunday night when a 24-year-old man who was in front plunged over the edge and into the rushing water below. The water flows back underneath the snow, and there was no sign of the man.
A Navy crew responded by air and searched with thermographic imaging, without success. On Monday the sheriff’s office said it was sending ground crews.
The hikers in the group had met each other the previous day, and the others did not know the missing man’s full name.
Most Read Local Stories
- Washington becomes first state to legalize human composting
- Series of small earthquakes detected in Washington and Oregon
- Waterfront transforming before our eyes as viaduct comes down
- Audit finds $413,000 from obscure Washington tax district went to commissioner's bank account
- King County's crusade against 'ICE Air' plays right into Trump's hands | Danny Westneat