A woman hiking on Sauk Mountain near Rockport was shot and killed Saturday morning by a boy who was hunting for a bear, Skagit County deputies...
A woman hiking on Sauk Mountain near Rockport was shot and killed Saturday morning by a boy who was hunting for a bear, Skagit County deputies said.
The 54-year-old woman, from Oso, in unincorporated Snohomish County, was hiking with a friend and stopped on the trail to put something in her backpack. The boy, from near Concrete, mistook the woman for a bear and fired one shot, according to the Skagit County Sheriff’s Office.
After being alerted at about 10:30 a.m., search and rescue teams found the woman’s body in steep terrain. The boy was accompanied by at least one adult, deputies said.
The Skagit County Sheriff’s Office and an officer from the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife are investigating.
Most Read Local Stories
- Two people dead after tree falls on their car near Issaquah in Sunday's storm
- Weather updates: Storms, power outages continue Monday across Seattle and Western Washington
- Storm rips through Western Washington, killing two and leaving more than 100,000 without power in Seattle and beyond
- After almost a year on a ventilator, a Federal Way pastor stricken by COVID emerges
- Report: Washington Secretary of State Kim Wyman will be named to Biden administration election-security post
Noelene Clark: 206-464-2321 or firstname.lastname@example.org