Four different meat products from an Oregon-based distributor are being recalled. They were distributed throughout Utah, Oregon and Washington.
About 14,800 pounds of meat distributed across the Northwest are being recalled after a sample tested positive for a potential deadly strain of E. coli bacteria, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said late Saturday.
The recall comes from Interstate Meat Distributors, based in Clackamas, Ore., and affects ground beef and pork delivered to shops in Washington, Oregon and Utah.
The meat company notified the USDA that a third-party lab had found E. coli in a sample of beef trim, though there have been no confirmed reports of anyone getting sick from the meat, the USDA said.
The lab found evidence of contamination by E. coli O157: H7, which is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause dehydration, bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps , usually within four days after exposure.
Most Read Local Stories
- Detectives say simmering gang war in South King County is behind fatal shooting of an office worker in Burien
- San Francisco is cracking down on tent camps. Will Seattle do the same? VIEW
- State Patrol crackdown on HOV violators snares more than 1,700 drivers in Puget Sound area
- Stray bullet kills woman inside Burien office; drive-by shooting suspects at large
- ‘What a mess’: Texts by Seattle mayor, council member shed light on head-tax repeal | Times Watchdog
While most people recover within a week, some — mostly young children and older adults — can develop a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome, which can kill.
Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to eat them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
Three of the recalled products contain package code 04118 and feature 2.25-pound wrapped packages of ground meat. They include “all natural extra lean ground beef” (96 percent lean), “all natural ground beef chuck” (80 percent lean) and “ground beef and pork blend” (80 percent lean).
Also recalled: A 2.5-pound bag with 10 quarter-pound frozen “Angus Brothers Choice 85% lean angus ground beef patties,” with package code 04318.
The meat being recalled has the number 965 inside the USDA mark of inspection. It was packaged between Feb. 10 and Feb. 12.