Here are some gift ideas with meaning.
For me, the holidays are about presence, not presents, but there are a few things I have on my list. Here are some gift ideas for making our season as bright as can be.
1. Seek world peace. Hey, if you’re gonna make a big wish, totally go for it. If the world won’t cooperate, then settle for peace in your own home and life. A little less stress can make your world a whole lot better.
2. Be nice. It amazes me how easy it is for people to be impolite or even unkind. Unfortunately, this happens more with people we care for because we are around them more. Try it for a week and see if being nicer to those you love — and those you don’t know — doesn’t make you feel happier.
3. Let stupid things go. Most of us hold onto resentments of some kind. Sometimes it can hold us back from truly enjoying life and the people in it. As the late Dr. Richard Carlson said, “Don’t sweat the small stuff.”
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle Schools demotes Cleveland principal after she told families district would limit contact tracing, attorney says
- Spring rains 'not nearly enough' to overcome Northwest drought, wildfire risk, experts say
- Pedestrian critically injured in Seattle light-rail crash
- Dow Constantine proposes raising King County property taxes to preserve natural spaces
- 9-year-old boy in critical condition after reportedly shot by younger brother in Federal Way
4. Help someone. It doesn’t matter if it’s a person you know or one you don’t. If someone is hungry, buy him or her a meal. Both of you will be better for it.
5. Be kind to animals. If you want more love in your life, rescue a pet. If you can’t have one, go to a shelter and pet a puppy or cat for a while. It may be the only love this animal ever gets, and you will never stop feeling it.
6. Trust your gut. Those little intuitions can lead you to some big changes in your life. You have more answers inside you than you know. All you have to do is ask yourself and then take the time to listen.
7. Repair one broken friendship. If you’ve had a rift with someone important to you, take the high road and extend an olive branch. There is no reason you can’t make things whole again, for relationships are more important than being right.
8. Be respectful. Most of the time we don’t think we are being rude, but we don’t focus on treating others with respect, either. Put a little more effort into making other people feel that you respect their right to be who they are, even if the behavior isn’t something you agree with.
9. Right a wrong. If you know that someone is being abused or neglected, pick up the phone and report it. Many times people who are in those situations do not have the ability to reach out for help. You could save a life.
10. Live the whole year with the holiday spirit. This will not be easy and certainly not possible 100 percent of the time. But even if it’s just one day a week, you will have a positive effect on those around you.
Holiday wishes are really our desires to make our lives and the lives of others better in some way. Any little thing you can do to put a smile on someone’s face is a gift.