Main Street Gyros in Seattle was closed Tuesday after three people who ate there were reported to have symptoms of norovirus, health officials said.

Share story

Main Street Gyros in Seattle has been closed after symptoms of norovirus were linked to the Mediterranean restaurant, health officials said Wednesday.

The site at 301 Second Ave. S was closed Tuesday and required to perform a top-down cleaning, said officials with Public Health — Seattle & King County. The move followed reports from two parties, a total of three people, who developed symptoms of norovirus, a highly contagious viral infection. The two groups did not know each other but ate the same food at the restaurant on the same day. None of the people was hospitalized and they won’t be tested, officials said.

Food-safety staff met with the restaurant operator Wednesday to detail criteria that must be met before an inspection Thursday morning.

Norovirus is the leading cause of disease outbreaks from contaminated food, according to federal health officials. It causes acute gastrointestinal problems, including diarrhea and vomiting. It spreads easily and affects people of all ages.