County public health investigators said the likely source of a woman’s bacterial infection is fish bought from a Bellevue supermarket.
Fish bought from a Bellevue supermarket is the likely source of a woman’s rare, life-threatening bacterial infection, according to health officials.
The woman was diagnosed with Vibrio vulnificus on Nov. 10, said officials with Public Health — Seattle & King County. Often found in contaminated seawater, the infection can cause symptoms ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to flesh-eating skin wounds.
Officials suspect the woman was infected after cutting her finger while preparing the fish. According to officials, the woman, who is in her 50s, bought the tilapia fish from the Asian Food Center, at 14509 N.E. 20th St. She was later hospitalized and has since returned home.
The supermarket’s fish stock was disposed of, while the tanks and other equipment used to process fish at the market were decommissioned until they can be cleaned and disinfected, officials said. Department investigators will work with the Food and Drug Administration to investigate any food and product distributors found to be the source of contaminated food, officials said.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle archbishop puts Kennedy Catholic school president on leave of absence until the end of school year
- Earth has temporarily gained another moon
- Mike Lull, the boss of bass guitars for bands like Heart, Cheap Trick and Pearl Jam, dies at 66
- 2 injured in Pioneer Square shooting
- ‘It just kept moving:’ Sea lion that wandered into Cowlitz County hills trapped after long standoff
Health officials said anyone who has recently eaten fish purchased from the Bellevue Asian Food Center before Nov. 17 should watch for skin redness, abdominal pain and other symptoms associated with the infection.
Any fish bought from the market before that date should be thrown out, officials said.