The Associated Press
Gov. Chris Gregoire says she wants an independent expert panel to review the safety of pontoons being built for the new floating bridge across Lake Washington.
The governor’s statement came after news reports on construction flaws found in the first pontoons built for the new Highway 520 bridge.
Gregoire told KOMO-TV on Friday that “based on what I saw in your report I want another independent expert panel to review” the pontoons. The governor promised that Washington citizens would be protected.
Most Read Local Stories
- WSP trooper whose work was key to investigation of 2017 DuPont Amtrak derailment dies from COVID
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
- Fast facts about Northgate light rail before it opens Saturday
- Shooting near WSU kills man who worked for Somali American community, injures Cougar football player
- Washington State Patrol's hiring under fire as agency failed to diversify over decades
Small cracks have appeared in at least two the first six pontoons built for the bridge but transportation officials say the problem is manageable.