Gov. Chris Gregoire has appointed a Republican state lawmaker from Eastern Washington as director of the state Department of Agriculture.
OLYMPIA — Gov. Chris Gregoire has appointed a Republican state lawmaker from Eastern Washington as director of the state Department of Agriculture.
Rep. Dan Newhouse operates a 600-acre farm in the Sunnyside area, where he grows hops, tree fruit, grapes and alfalfa.
Newhouse is serving his fourth term in the state House. He is a past president of the Hop Growers of Washington and the Hop Growers of America.
Gregoire said Friday that she wants Newhouse to focus on developing international markets for Washington’s farm products.
Most Read Local Stories
- We now know where Seattle's airborne heart was headed after Southwest flight was turned around
- Over 100K lose power as high winds hit Washington, Oregon
- Rare brain-eating amoebas killed Seattle woman who rinsed her sinuses with tap water. Doctor warns this could happen again
- Burned bear Cinder shot and killed by hunter in Washington
- At a prominent badminton club in Bellevue, girls describe a coach who crossed lines with massages
In 2007, the overall value of agricultural production in Washington was a record $8.51 billion.