It wasn’t meant to be. The Space Needle will not don its retro Galaxy Gold color for its next paint job, as I wished.
Workers have been painting the top of the Needle with its new green color for a few days now. This afternoon, I could only see a patch of the bright orange left, so I rushed to do a sketch from the parking lot roof of a building in South Lake Union. (Note: I walked there, don’t go thinking I drive that Mercedes on the sketch.)
Seattle graphic designer Nicole Commins won the art contest organized by the Needle to find a replacement for Galaxy Gold. The new paint job consists of evergreens radiating towards the Needle’s center spire. It will stay for six months, and you can see it here.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- 2 killed in crash on I-90 after car hydroplaned, officials say
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- One killed in North Seattle shooting