Seattle Foundation's second annual GiveBIG event will use technology to promote philanthropy in a day of online donations.
Seattle’s success in technology and philanthropy will converge in 24 hours of giving back through The Seattle Foundation’s second annual online GiveBIG event scheduled for Wednesday.
The event helps more than 1,400 local nonprofits raise money and awareness through online donations.
“The idea is to create a sense of excitement around one day in which the whole community comes together to support the nonprofits,” said foundation spokeswoman Mary Grace Roske.
More than 19,000 individuals participated last year, donating from $5 to $60,000. The Seattle Foundation hopes to match or exceed last year’s donations, amounting to $3.6 million, Roske said.
Most Read Local Stories
- A sea turtle found off Washington's coast, cold and clinging to life, recovers at Seattle Aquarium
- It's been the wettest early fall on record in the Seattle area — and more rain is coming
- Kshama Sawant recall election is a high-stakes moment for Seattle
- Jury awards $7 million to former public defender stalked by client, finds King County liable for hostile work environment
- Coronavirus daily news updates, November 29: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
The foundation’s sponsors have created what they call a “stretch pool.” It works like this: If one nonprofit organization earns 3 percent of the total donated funds, that organization will receive 3 percent of the matching money in the stretch pool.
Nonprofit organizations have been creative in promoting the event.
For example, Little Bit Therapeutic Riding Center, which provides horse-riding therapy to disabled children and adults, plans to use a mystery movie posted on its Facebook page to encourage supporters to donate. A Little Bit spokeswoman said each chapter of the movie will be released after a certain amount in donations has been received.
Individuals can go to the foundation’s website to select their favorite nonprofit and donate as little — or as much — as they want.
Sponsors of the event include Boeing, Microsoft, Seattle International Foundation, Seattle Sounders FC, the Bezos Family Foundation and JP Morgan Chase.
For more information on GiveBIG or The Seattle Foundation, go to www.seattlefoundation.org or call 206-515-2109.