Editor’s note: This is a live account of updates from demonstrations and other events on Monday, June 1, as the day unfolded. 

Protests in the Seattle area over the death of George Floyd, a Black man who died after his neck was pressed under the knee of a white police officer for several minutes, continued for a fourth day Monday, prompting mayors in Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond and Issaquah to issue city-wide curfews until Tuesday morning.

Shopping centers and police departments around the Puget Sound area also prepared for the possibility of looting or violence. The city of Kirkland recommended that all businesses close their brick-and-mortar locations at 1 p.m., and Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood closed early.

The protests in Seattle on Sunday had been largely peaceful, while looting was reported in surrounding towns including Bellevue, Renton and Tukwila.

Throughout Monday, on this page, we’ll post updates from Seattle Times journalists and others on the protests in the Seattle area. Updates from Sunday can be found here.

If you’ve taken part in these protests, we’d like to hear from you: What was your experience? What did being out there mean to you? Fill out this form and let us know.

Live updates:

Seattle police issue statement on Monday night 'riot'

Seattle police said in a statement Monday night that the department declared a riot on Capitol Hill after the crowd threw rocks, bottles and fireworks at officers and attempted to breach barricades near the east precinct.

"Hours before declaring the incident a riot, East Precinct commanders had spoken and knelt with members of the group at a barricade line near the precinct," the statement said. "As the night continued, members of the crowd threw rocks, bottles and fireworks at officers, and attempted to break through a fence line at 11th Avenue and Pine Street."

However, videos of the officers spraying the crowd and deploying flash bangs quickly spread on social media Monday night; many of those who shared them said the footage showed the police were responsible for escalating the confrontation. A police officer at the front of the crowd can be seen grabbing a protester’s umbrella just before other officers deploy pepper spray into the crowd.

Officers deployed "less-lethal munitions," the department's statement said, and a line of bike officers attempted to disperse the crowd.

"While daily demonstrations continue to pose unique and dynamic challenges to the Seattle Police Department and the city, SPD remains committed to facilitating safe, lawful first-amendment demonstrations," the statement said.

SPD spokeswoman Sgt. Lauren Truscott declined an interview with the Seattle Times Monday night.

Near midnight, most of the crowd had left Capitol Hill, though some demonstrators were still marching downtown and congregated near the Space Needle.

—Elise Takahama

NBC News correspondent hit with fireworks during live broadcast

As the police stand-off escalated in Capitol Hill, NBC News correspondent Jo Ling Kent was hit with what MSNBC said was a firework during a live broadcast.

Kent, who was wearing a gas mask, was in the middle of reporting on the police presence when she was hit and quickly ran out of the frame.

She later tweeted that she and her team were OK. "My jacket sleeve got singed and that’s it. So sorry for the curse words.. and thank you for the sweet texts, calls and tweets," she wrote.

Protesters regroup in Capitol Hill after facing tear gas

Some protesters returned to Westlake Park in downtown Seattle after facing tear gas and flash-bang devices, but others stayed in Capitol Hill in a stand-off with police.

At the corner of Eleventh Avenue and Pine Street, where police deployed tear gas earlier, a group of protesters were back on their feet and closer to the police barricade around 10:15 p.m. Some in the crowd blamed police for escalating the situation.

In response to a 11 p.m. interview request with Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan or someone in her office about Monday night’s events, Durkan’s chief of staff, Stephanie Formas, said in a text message the police department and Chief Carmen Best were “best to discuss an ongoing law enforcement situation.”

Formas said Durkan and the city's Emergency Operations Center were "closely monitoring developments across the city."

A police spokesperson didn’t immediately return a request for comment.

—Heidi Groover and Daniel Beekman

Olympia police deploy flash-bang devices

Olympia police have started using flash bang devices to clear away groups of people protesting outside City Hall, reflecting a much more aggressive night than crowds saw over the weekend.

As protesters pressed toward the back of the Olympia Police Department, more flash bangs devices went off. Some people started backing off after police threatened them with felony assault charges, but a few began to regroup.

—Joseph O'Sullivan

Police start using tear gas on protesters near Capitol Hill, declare a riot

Seattle police declared a riot in Capitol Hill Monday night after using tear gas and flash bang devices on the protesters, who were gathered near the police department's east precinct.

"Crowd has thrown rocks, bottles and fireworks at officers and is attempting to breach barricades one block from the East Precinct," Seattle police tweeted.

Several protesters on social media said the crowd had remained peaceful. A video posted on Reddit gave an aerial view of the events.

This is the moment it all happened from r/Seattle

Sound Transit closed the Capitol Hill Station until further notice shortly after the police announcement, due to safety concerns.

—Elise Takahama

Olympia demonstrators gather for the third consecutive night outside City Hall

OLYMPIA — Demonstrators gathered Monday for the third consecutive night outside City Hall to protest the death of George Floyd.

More than 250 hundred protesters — the largest of the three nights — blocked the downtown thoroughfare on Fourth Avenue outside the building.

They called for officers to “take a knee” and chanting “hands up, don’t shoot.” Some shouted slurs about the white Olympia Police Department officer who in 2015 shot two black men.

Several tense moments arose when a man in a "Make America Great Again" hat and some others mixed into the crowd of protesters, before the confrontation fizzled.

Demonstrators later marched down Fourth Avenue, chanting “I can’t breathe” and “No justice, no peace.”

So far, the city has seen little damage from the protests that have rocked the state and nation since Floyd’s death in Minneapolis a week ago.

But downtown business owners Monday evening could be seen boarding up storefronts.

Demonstrators Saturday night held a candlelight vigil that turned into a peaceful march to the state Capitol. Sunday night’s protest started peaceful but turned contentious later, with police arresting 13 people.

—Joseph O'Sullivan

Interstate 5 temporarily reopened, but has since closed again

Interstate 5 through downtown Seattle temporarily reopened, but has closed again in both directions, according to the Washington State Department of Transportation.

I-5 closed at Highway 520 and Interstate 90 after the march started getting close to the freeway, a Washington State Patrol spokesman tweeted.

There's currently no estimate on when the highway will reopen.


King County protests proceed peacefully

Protests in King County proceeded peacefully Monday.

Meanwhile, demonstrators also gathered for a third consecutive day in Olympia.

Washington, Seattle officials rebuke Trump's remarks on protests

Gov. Jay Inslee on Monday rebuked President Donald Trump after the president both suggested governors were “weak” for not cracking down harder on protests over the death of George Floyd and threatened to send in the military to squelch demonstrations.

“His admiration of authoritarians around the world should not allow him to violate 200 years of American tradition of local law enforcement,” Inslee said in a statement. “We have activated the National Guard in our state and made them available to any community who requests it.”

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan and City Attorney Pete Holmes called Trump's threat illegal.

“Even if this wasn’t blatantly illegal, does Trump actually want the nation to burn? Our city will fight any steps to use the military against the American people,” Holmes said.

Read the full story here.

—Joseph O'Sullivan

Seattle police address video of officers breaking window

Seattle police addressed a video that has been circulating on social media, which shows police officers breaking the window of a Target store downtown. The department said that the officers were not breaking into the store, but were responding to a burglary and had to chip away at already-broken windows to safely get inside.


Interstate 5 in downtown Seattle closed in both directions

UPDATE: The interstate had reopened by 8 p.m.

The Washington State Patrol is closing Interstate 5 in both directions between Interstate 90 and Highway 520 for "precautionary purposes" after protesters in Seattle marched through the lanes over the weekend.

Drivers should avoid I-5 through Seattle, Trooper Rick Johnson tweeted. Detours will be in place.

A protest Monday moved from Seattle City Hall to downtown along Fourth Avenue.

More traffic updates are available here.

—Michelle Baruchman

March heads from Seattle City Hall to downtown

A gathering of people marched from Seattle City Hall to downtown along Fourth Avenue.

"This is a breaking point, a tipping point," said Meraf Geberehiwot, who joined in the protests. "My spirit is unsettled."

—Michelle Baruchman

Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah issue curfews

The mayors of Bellevue and Redmond and Issaquah have issued curfews for their cities lasting from this evening until tomorrow morning.

In Bellevue, Mayor Lynne Robinson issued a curfew that begins at 5 p.m. and extends until 5 a.m. in the downtown area "due to the likelihood of continued public disturbances."

Redmond Mayor Angela Birney has announced a curfew between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.

No one, except law enforcement, military and emergency response personnel, government officials and authorized media, may be in any public place during the curfew, the proclamation states.

The Redmond Police Department will be present during protests, and the National Guard will be on stand by.

The curfew in Issaquah is for three nights beginning Monday starting at 8 p.m. and extending until 6 a.m. Tuesday.

Mayor Mary Lou Pauly issued the curfew for the entire city limits, though people are still allowed to travel if they are going to and from work, need emergency or urgent medical care during the curfew. The curfew does not apply to essential businesses.

—Michelle Baruchman

ACLU Washington director questions curfews issued in Washington cities

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) director in Washington called the curfew orders issued in multiple Washington cities, including Seattle, "chilling" and said they risk curtailing free speech of people calling for change to "biased policing and disparate use of force against Black people."

"They open the door to selective enforcement, potentially magnifying the very harms that protestors and communities have been demanding be addressed for decades," said Michele Storms, executive director of the ACLU of Washington, in a news release.

The ACLU urged mayors across the state to use "the least restrictive means possible" to address specific violations rather than restricting an entire city’s freedom of movement.

"Cities must also protect protestors’ rights, promptly address any police misconduct against protestors, and take meaningful action on the longstanding concerns of Black and Brown communities regarding police accountability, biased policing and disparate use of force," she said.

“The curfew is a tool the police can use, like any other law, to help control and maintain public safety,” Durkan argued, promising officers would continue to “use discretion” and balance the order against First Amendment rights.

Read the full story here.

—Michelle Baruchman, Daniel Beekman

Seattle police barricade U Village Safeway after protesters windows were smashed

Seattle protests continued near the University Village shopping center Monday evening, sparking some brief looting at a nearby Safeway.

Several people began smashing windows and running inside around 4:30 p.m., before quickly fleeing the area.

Meanwhile, a separate group of about 40 people started marching down an alley between QFC and Safeway, but were stopped and eventually pushed back by a line of police.

The scene calmed down pretty quickly, some protesters said, leaving the group peacefully sitting in the parking lot to stand off against police.

Jay Cole, a 17-year-old student at Mountlake Terrace High School, said she’s advocating for a peaceful gathering, but that some people feel looting is “the only way they’ll listen.”

She said she wasn’t one of the people who started smashing Safeway windows.

“I’m here to get justice not only for George Floyd, but all people who were unarmed and killed by police,” Cole said.

Law enforcement officials began clearing customers out University Village earlier in the day.

A spokeswoman for the shopping center said all restaurants and businesses were closed at 2 p.m. out of an “abundance of caution.” Most University Village storefronts, including Piatti and Victoria’s Secret, had been boarded up by 3 p.m.

—Elise Takahama and Ken Lambert

12,000 complaints filed about Seattle police's response to weekend protests

The Seattle Office of Police Accountability has received more than 12,000 complaints about the Seattle Police Department's response to this weekend's protests.

According to a news release from the agency, the Office received several complaints about 10 specific incidents.

Those include complaints about police pepper-spraying a young girl, punching a person on the ground who was being arrested, placing a knee on the neck area of two people who had been arrested, covering up badge numbers and failing to record law enforcement activities on body cameras, according to the release.

The Office is reviewing and processing the complaints.

—Michelle Baruchman

University of Washington alert says protests have spread to the University Village

An alert sent to students, faculty and staff at the University of Washington said large groups of people have smashed windows and started looting at the University Village shopping center.

Another alert said traffic has been closed near Northeast 45th Street in the University District.

—Michelle Baruchman

Scenes from Monday's protests sparked by George Floyd's death

Protests sparked by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis continue on Monday in downtown Seattle as demonstrators gather on the steps of City Hall. (The Seattle Times)

—Dean Rutz

Demonstrators gather in downtown Seattle

A large group of demonstrators was marching through downtown Seattle on Monday afternoon as of about 4 p.m., protesting for the fourth day in a row.

King County Metro buses are not serving the downtown Seattle area between Denny Way and Edgar Martinez Drive South.

Sound Transit Express bus service through downtown has been temporarily suspended.

Washington State Ferries will maintain service in and out of Seattle.


University Village mall boarded up

Businesses were boarded up and Seattle police maintained a presence Monday afternoon at University Village.

King County businesses take precautions

Kirkland city officials recommended all businesses close at 1 p.m. and secure valuable items in their stores. The city planned to issue an emergency proclamation Monday afternoon, but did not intend to impose a curfew.

Kirkland Mayor Penny Sweet said in a statement that the City Council “appreciates all of the individuals that are exercising their free speech rights to peacefully speak out against the murder of George Floyd and the ongoing racial inequities that exist in our society. It is unfortunate that a criminal element is seizing on this opportunity to engage in looting and other destructive activities. We hope that community members and business owners will join us in implementing precautionary measures to protect our community.”

Read more about how King County businesses are bracing for potential looting.

—Benjamin Romano

Mercer Island asks businesses to close early

The Mercer Island Police Department is asking downtown businesses to close early "out of an abundance of caution and due to concerns over ongoing protests in Bellevue/Seattle."


Renton expects City Hall rally, plans curfew

The Renton Police Department said there is "growing concern in our community" about a rally planned for 3 p.m. at Renton City Hall. The department said the organizers of the rally have the right to assemble peacefully.

Officers will be out to "deter those with destructive intent," the department said, and the city expects to impose a curfew Monday night. Details on the timing were not yet released.


Seattle curfew announced from 6 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Mayor Jenny Durkan announced at a press conference Monday afternoon that there will be a curfew for a third night in a row in Seattle, from 6 p.m. Monday to 5 a.m. Tuesday.

—Dan Beekman