A photo of former Gov. Gary Locke, the new U.S. ambassador to China, carrying his own backpack and ordering his own coffee at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, has gone viral among Chinese citizens not used to such frugality.
A photo of the new U.S. ambassador to China carrying his own backpack and ordering his own coffee at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport has gone viral among Chinese citizens not used to such frugality.
Businessman ZhaoHui Tang snapped the photo Friday on his iPhone when he spotted former Washington Gov. Gary Locke, who is the first Chinese-American ambassador to China. Tang was flying from Seattle to Silicon Valley.
He immediately uploaded it to the Chinese social-media network Sina Weibo, leading to tens of thousands of reposts and thousands of comments.
Tang says he didn’t expect the surprise and admiration for Locke that it generated. He says even low-level officials in China often have someone else carry their bags.
Most Read Local Stories
- Map: Kim Schrier won big in King County suburbs, even in Dino Rossi's neighborhood
- Washington State Patrol detective violated woman's rights with ruse, hidden cameras, court rules
- Hate crimes skyrocket across the nation, almost double in Seattle over the past year
- Fire at Gascoigne Lumber on North Queen Anne was arson, Seattle fire officials say
- Uber and Lyft drop data fight with Seattle, and start another over Sea-Tac Airport data
Tang says he wished Locke luck in his new job.