A photo of former Gov. Gary Locke, the new U.S. ambassador to China, carrying his own backpack and ordering his own coffee at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, has gone viral among Chinese citizens not used to such frugality.
A photo of the new U.S. ambassador to China carrying his own backpack and ordering his own coffee at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport has gone viral among Chinese citizens not used to such frugality.
Businessman ZhaoHui Tang snapped the photo Friday on his iPhone when he spotted former Washington Gov. Gary Locke, who is the first Chinese-American ambassador to China. Tang was flying from Seattle to Silicon Valley.
He immediately uploaded it to the Chinese social-media network Sina Weibo, leading to tens of thousands of reposts and thousands of comments.
Tang says he didn’t expect the surprise and admiration for Locke that it generated. He says even low-level officials in China often have someone else carry their bags.
Most Read Local Stories
- Permanent daylight saving time passes Washington state House 90-6, heads to Inslee's desk
- Miska, Bellevue’s most persecuted tabby cat, seeks her day in court
- Judge finds that tunnel contractors threw away pipe fragments that Bertha hit
- Washington Dems want GOP Rep. Matt Shea out over texts discussing physical attacks on political enemies
- Over eight years, the government has deported about 34,000 people via Boeing Field. King County wants it stopped.
Tang says he wished Locke luck in his new job.