Spellman, the state's last GOP chief executive, died last month at the age of 91.
A funeral Mass and memorial service will be held Monday for former Washington governor and King County executive John Spellman, who died last month at the age of 91.
Spellman was the last Republican to serve as Washington’s chief executive — elected to a single term in 1980. He served as King County executive from 1969 until he was elected governor and went to Olympia.
A joint funeral Mass will be celebrated at noon at Saint James Cathedral at 804 Ninth Avenue. It will be followed by a celebration of Spellman’s life at Bell Harbor, 2211 Alaskan Way, at Pier 66.
The family said remembrances for Gov. Spellman and Lois, his wife of 63 years (who died shortly after her husband), may be made to The Care of Elder Jesuits at P.O. Box 68 in Los Gatos, Calif., or to Seattle University, 900 12th Ave., Seattle.
Most Read Local Stories
- The Arlene's Flowers case is back in the state Supreme Court - here's why
- Map: Kim Schrier won big in King County suburbs, even in Dino Rossi's neighborhood
- Alaska Airlines starts taking reservations for flights out of Everett's Paine Field
- Owners of Seattle electronics recycler charged in fraud case
- UW will shutter Mount Baker laundry, putting nearly 100 employees out of work