Other items: High-speed chase ends in arrest of pair in Auburn; Man pleads not guilty in 20-year-old death in Mount Vernon; and a Christmas-morning fire destroys home in Portland.

Share story

A Washington state ferry sailing to Anacortes went aground Friday evening on Reid Rock about 15 minutes out of Friday Harbor, resulting in several schedule changes yesterday for the route.

No one was injured in the incident, which forced the ferry’s return to Friday Harbor.

The boat was tied up at 8:15 p.m. and passengers were released, said Washington State Ferries spokeswoman Susan Harris, who did not disclose the number on board at the time of the grounding.

Harris said damage to the ferry Sealth did not appear extensive, but divers were to inspect the boat yesterday. The Coast Guard and ferry system will investigate the incident.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks

Ferries officials canceled yesterday’s sailing from Anacortes to Vancouver Island so the ferry on that route, the Elwha, could be used in place of the Sealth. Yesterday was to be the last day for the international run before its normal winter shutdown.

The Friday Harbor-Anacortes schedule underwent revisions throughout yesterday, including cancellation of the final sailing to the mainland at 8 p.m.


High-speed chase ends in arrest of pair

A 20-year-old female driver and her 16-year-old male passenger were arrested in a stolen car Friday night after a highway pursuit in which speeds exceeded 100 mph, Auburn police said.

Auburn police began the chase at 8:20 p.m. The car, registered in Lakewood, fled eastbound on Highway 18, through Maple Valley, over Tiger Mountain and toward Interstate 90. The King County Sheriff’s Office and State Patrol joined the pursuit.

State troopers set up spikes at the Raging River Bridge. The stolen car ran into a pickup that had slowed for troopers, police said. The driver and passenger, whom police did not identify, were treated for minor injuries at Overlake Hospital Medical Center in Bellevue.

Mount Vernon

Man pleads not guilty in 20-year-old death

A Puyallup man has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the 1984 killing of a man thought to have been bludgeoned with a chunk of wood.

Marcus Everett, 42, appeared in Skagit County Superior Court on Thursday and was ordered held in lieu of $1 million bail. He could face life in prison if convicted.

Prosecutors say Everett killed Randy Soderberg, 22, of Sedro-Woolley.

Everett reportedly took a drive with Soderberg after arranging to meet him July 10, 1984, at a Mount Vernon auto-parts store to buy Soderberg’s Ford Mustang. That was the last time Soderberg was seen alive.

Earlier this month, remains and clothing were found in woods off South Skagit Highway where Everett allegedly told police they would find Soderberg’s body.

The remains have not been positively identified.


Christmas-morning fire destroys home

A Portland family’s home was destroyed by a fire Christmas morning that officials estimated caused at least $120,000 in damage.

No family members or firefighters were hurt, but the family’s two dogs died.

Investigators think the blaze began when fabric resting against a light bulb caught fire.

Family members said their holiday presents had already been taken to a relative’s house.