A football coach at Seattle’s Franklin High School was arrested for allegedly attempting to have sex with a 13-year-old girl.
Assistant Chief Pat Lowery, of the Kent Police Department, said 35-year-old Omar P. Urrutia was charged with attempted rape of a child and communication with a minor for immoral purposes.
The 13-year-old girl used her mother’s phone to text with Urrutia, according to King County District Court records. The mother discovered disturbing messages, and replied to the coach, pretending to be her daughter. After Urrutia responded suggestively, the mother contacted Kent police. Officers resumed the conversation with the man, posing as the girl.
The coach allegedly arranged to meet the girl and a friend of hers in Renton on Monday. Police arrested him when he arrived for the meeting.
Most Read Local Stories
- Missing Lummi Nation woman found alive, aunt says
- Washington state analyzed two COVID scenarios for fall. One is much worse than the other
- King County head of homelessness may be an 'impossible' job, but Marc Dones is optimistic
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 24: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
Court records say Urrutia told detectives his judgment was cloudy and that he needed help and counseling.