A passenger’s cellphone caught on fire inside the cabin of an Alaska Airlines flight from New Orleans to Seattle that had landed at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport Monday evening.
It was a Samsung Galaxy A21, according to Perry Cooper, a spokesman for the Port of Seattle.
“After much digging, I can tell you that the phone was burned beyond recognition,” Cooper said in an email. “However, during an interview with one of our Port of Seattle Police officers, the passenger volunteered the phone was a Samsung Galaxy A21. Again, we could not confirm it by looking at the remains of the device.”
The crew on Flight 751 extinguished the fire with a battery containment bag, but smoke forced the deployment of evacuation slides, a spokesperson for Alaska Airlines told KOMO-TV.
A tweet from the Port of Seattle, which operates the airport, said 128 passengers and six crew members were transported by bus to the terminal.
There were no serious injuries and no impacts to airport operations, the Port of Seattle said on Twitter.
Information from The Associated Press is included in this report.