SNOHOMISH COUNTY — Two fires were started early Thursday morning at Discovery Elementary School, located south of Everett in unincorporated Snohomish County.
Firefighters responded to an automatic fire alarm around 3 a.m. quickly enough to keep a fire lit near a door on the southwest corner of the school from entering the building, but damage to the door and adjacent wall is estimated at $3,000, said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1. She said another fire lit at a nearby portable went out on its own before firefighters arrived.
There are no suspects now, but investigators are looking at the school’s camera surveillance footage for leads, said Andy Muntz, a spokesman for Mukilteo School District. He said there haven’t been other similar incidents recently, but that arson has happened before within the district. On another early morning in 2010, someone burned down a greenhouse at Mariner High School in Everett.
Anyone with information about the fires can contact Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office investigators at (425) 388-3557.
Most Read Local Stories
- WSP trooper whose work was key to investigation of 2017 DuPont Amtrak derailment dies from COVID
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
- Fast facts about Northgate light rail before it opens Saturday
- Shooting near WSU kills man who worked for Somali American community, injures Cougar football player
- Washington State Patrol's hiring under fire as agency failed to diversify over decades