Snohomish County fire investigators say that a cigarette or a candle are to blame for a blaze that caused serious damage to a Mountlake Terrace Home this morning.
Fire crews were called to the home in the 23800 block of 55th Avenue West at 3:05 a.m., said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1. When crews arrived the house was engulfed in flames.
Two of the four men renting the house were home at the time; they escaped safely, Hynes said. Neither of the men recall hearing the home’s smoke alarm signaling, Hynes added.
A fire investigator has estimated damage to the home at $125,000 and believes that the fire started in a back bedroom and spread to an attic.
Most Read Local Stories
- WSP trooper whose work was key to investigation of 2017 DuPont Amtrak derailment dies from COVID
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
- Fast facts about Northgate light rail before it opens Saturday
- Ferry-naming contest draws comically creative ideas — but let's get real, Washington state says
- Washington State Patrol's hiring under fire as agency failed to diversify over decades
While fighting the blaze, firefighter paramedics turned their attention to a bystander watching them. The person suffered some type of medical emergency and had to be taken to a local hospital, Hynes said.