The Associated Press
NESPELEM, Wash. — Tribal regalia used in religious and cultural celebrations were lost in the fire early Wednesday that destroyed the Chief Joseph Nez Perce Longhouse on the Colville Reservation at Nespelem .
The tribe says an electrical malfunction apparently started the fire. Flames were too intense for firefighters to enter the building.
No one was injured.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- He found an intact headstone buried in his Seattle backyard. You might, too
- 60,000 Seattle-area renters are behind on rent as eviction moratoriums near expiration
The tribal chairman, John Sirois, told The Spokesman-Review the building was a spiritual and cultural center. It also used for meeting and events.
Tribal historians are working to identify items that were lost.