A dryer fire caused extensive damage to a home in the Matthews Beach neighborhood of Seattle this morning. No one was injured.
Firefighters got a report of the fire at 8 a.m. in the 10300 block of 38th Avenue Northeast. By the time they arrived, flames were coming out of the front door and back side of the house, said Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore.
The homeowner, who got out of the house along with his girlfriend, told firefighters it was a dryer fire and that he had tried unsuccessfully to put it out with a blanket, Moore said. No one else lives in the house.
The blaze took about 45 minutes to extinguish.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- King County customers of restaurants, theaters, gyms must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- COVID-19 kills Moses Lake couple, orphans their 8-year-old after visit to the fair
- 15-year-old SeaTac girl charged with murder, hit-and-run in July death of Maple Valley runner
- Scientists spot rare, mysterious right whales in waters off Alaska
Damages were estimated at $150,000 to the structure and $75,000 to the contents, Moore said.